2017 President’s Message
Dear Midwestern ITE Members:
I am very excited and honored to be serving as the 2017 Midwestern ITE District President. ITE has proven to be an integral part of both my student and professional career and am happy to be a member of this great organization. I am excited to be joined by the other Board members:
- John Mick – Past President (Illinois)
- Mike Bittner – Vice President (North Central)
- Martin Gugel – Secretary/Treasurer (MOVITE)
- Stephan Hoffmann – Wisconsin Section Representative
- Mike Phan – Illinois Section Representative
- Joe Gustafson – North Central Representative
- Nathan Becknell – MOVITE Representative
- John Davis – District Director
- Tom Campbell – Administrator
- Andi Bill – Webpage Editor
- Mark Rinnan – Newsletter Editor
We are already four months into 2017 and a lot has been happening behind the scenes to make this another successful year for the Midwestern District.
- Midwestern District Annual Meeting – The Wisconsin Section Local Arrangements Committee, co-chaired by John Davis and Jess Billmeyer, have been working diligently to pull together an excellent program for the upcoming Midwestern District Annual meeting in Madison, WI on June 18-20, 2017. The Technical Committee has developed a great program and the Social Committee has planned several activities, local to Wisconsin and the Madison area. The Concourse Hotel is located in downtown Madison, on the Capital Square, and is within walking distance to many of Madison’s attractions, including the state capitol building, University of Wisconsin-Madison campus, State Street, and Monona Terrace. Being centrally located allows quick access to the many bicycle/pedestrian paths around the city and surrounding lakes. As you’ll hear during the conference, Madison is one of five communities awarded the platinum status as a bicycle friendly city. Please visit https://www.mwite2017.com/ for more information about the conference. Registration is now open! We are looking forward to seeing many of you in Wisconsin’s capital city!
- New Midwestern District Website – We have heard comments that our current website is dated and we are making improvements to include current information and include pages that are useful to the District. If you have any comments or would like to see something specific on our webpage, please contact me or any of the board members.
- Revised Midwestern District Policies – Last year, the district membership voted to adopt/approve revised bylaws, which included separating the Secretary/Treasurer responsibilities into two positions, starting in 2018. The board is making modifications to the policies to reflect this change and also update policies that are dated.
- Student Activities – In addition to the student activities planned at the MWITE Annual meeting (Traffic Bowl, Student Design Competition, and Student Posters), the Midwestern and Great Lakes Districts will be working together to hold the 2nd Student Leadership Summit. The first summit was hosted by Iowa State University in September 2016 and this year, Purdue University will be hosting the event on September 15-17, 2017. This event is led by students and the program is developed for students. The purpose of the event is to expose students to speakers and workshops that provide them with the tools to be leaders in transportation engineering. Please visit the website for more information: https://engineering.purdue.edu/ITE/sls.html.
- Elections – As mentioned above, the elections for the 2018 Midwestern District Board will be a little different this year to reflect the bylaw changes to separate the Secretary and Treasurer positions. The Wisconsin Section will be nominating candidates for the incoming Treasurer and the Illinois Section is nominating candidates for the Secretary position. The ballots will be coming soon and would appreciate if you would take a minute of your time to vote!
However you are involved with the ITE, I thank you for your participation in the organization. I am looking forward to a great year and welcome any comments and questions that you may have about ITE.
Rebecca Szymkowski, P.E., PTOE
Phone: (608) 266-9381